Undergraduate Student Resources

CVPA Undergraduate Academic Advisors

Department/School Advisors

Robert Yi or 703-993-9617
Brenda Perry-Herrera
Schedule online

Arts Management Karalee Dawn MacKay
Email for appointment
Computer Game Design Jeremy Tuohy
Schedule online
Dance Kim Harris
Walk in hours Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to noon.
Film & Video Studies Maddie Portnoy
Schedule online
Music Carrie Ann Delaney
Schedule Online
Theater Sara Simanski
Schedule online
CVPA Undeclared Please schedule an appointment with the academic advisor in your intended program.
CVPA Student Academic Affairs Lauren Wagner
Email for appointment

Please note:

Students must meet with their Academic Advisor to discuss policies and procedures for submitting any request or form. For specific situations, please refer to the information below. 



Helpful Hints

Tips for Submitting Requests to your Advisor

  • Familiarize yourself with Students Rights and Responsibilities before submitting any requests.
  • Know the academic policies of the university, college, and your degree program. 
  • Verify your schedule each semester during and after the add/drop period to be sure you are registered for the courses you think you are. 
  • Submit requests well before any deadline. Requests are reviewed in the order they are received and cannot be expedited because of late submission. 

Causes for Delays in Reviewing Requests

Advisors and the CVPA Academic Affairs Office reviews requests in the order they are received. We respond to all requests as quickly as possible. 

Common causes of delay:

  • The student fails to provide supporting documentation needed to complete the request (e.g., medical documents, employment verification, communications from the instructor, etc.).
  • The supporting documentation is insufficient to complete the review. 
  • The office has difficulty verifying the documentation. 
  • The student does not check their Mason email account for responses or requests from the CVPA Academic Affairs Office. 
  • There are administrative holds on the student's account (e.g., Financial, Parking, Library, Immunization, etc.). It is the student's responsibility to ensure their record is free of holds. All holds should be cleared before submitting a request to the CVPA Academic Affairs Office. 

Completing and Submitting Forms

The forms needed for most requests can be found on the website of the Registrar's Office. For forms that are not available on the Registrar's website, contact your advisor for more information. Your advisor can assist you through the process. 


Registration at Mason

Credit Overload Policies

Students in good standing (GPA at or above 2.0) are eligible to enroll in up to 18 hours of coursework per semester. In exceptional circumstances, students may request an overload of the maximum credit hours allowed. Credits must be approved by advisor and department before submitting form to the CVPA Academic Affairs Office. 

Leave of Absence

All undergraduate students who are planning an absence from George Mason must submit a formal request for Leave of Absence through the online portal provided by the Registrar's Office. Students do not need to request a Leave of Absence if they are participating in a university-sponsored study abroad program or have received permission to study elsewhere.  Find the full university policy on Leave of Absence described under AP 1.8.


Registration Elsewhere

Permission to Study Elsewhere

Students wishing to take a course at a different institution must get pre-approval from both the CVPA academic dean and the academic dean for the requested course (two signatures). There are specific circumstances when this can be approved.

Students are permitted to take up to a maximum of 9 credit hours elsewhere if they meet the following criteria at a minimum:

  • Fewer than 60 credit hours of transfer coursework,
  • A minimum 2.0 GPA at the time of the request.


  • If a course is offered at Mason Korea or Mason Fairfax, whether online or face-to-face, permission will NOT be granted to take this course elsewhere except in the case of unusual circumstances. Students may submit a study elsewhere request to take general elective courses or courses that are not being offered at the campus in which they are studying.
  • Students in their first semester of coursework at Mason are ineligible for Study Elsewhere.
  • Financial hardship alone is not a sufficient reason for approval of a study elsewhere request.
  • Once approved, courses elsewhere must be taken for a grade and be passed with a grade of C or higher in order to be transferred back to Mason. Although credit for the course will be transferred, the grade for the course will not.

Students should also review the policies under AP.1.4.2 Permission to Study Elsewhere in the Mason catalog.

Study Abroad

Students who wish to study abroad must first receive permission from the Mason Study Abroad office and their program dean in order to have the credit transfer back to Mason. Visit the Mason Abroad Office's website for more information on opportunities. 


Students who wish to request to take a course at an institution within the consortium must have permission from the CVPA Academic Affairs office and the Registrar's Office. See item AP.1.4.9. in the University Catalog for more information. 


Registration for Inactive Students


Students who have been away from the university who either did not submit a leave of absence form or were ineligible to take a formal leave of absence, and who have been away for less than two years must re-enroll in order to register for courses. 

Return from Dismissal

Students returning from dismissal from the university must submit a request to return to Mason through their Academic Advisor, but only after a minimum of three calendar years from the university. See item AP.5.2.6 in the University Catalog for more information. 


Suspended Students

Students Returning from Suspension

Students in academic standing of suspension have a registration hold placed on their record that prevents enrollment in future coursework. Upon return from the suspension period, the student must have an Academic Advisor Approval form and Student Success Plan reviewed by their advisor and signed. After the form and plan have been completed, they must be submitted to the CVPA Academic Affairs Office for final approval. Upon receipt by the CVPA Academic Affairs Office, students will be advised about an additional requirement of completion of a Learning Services workshop. Upon completion of that workshop, the hold will be removed.

Deadlines to request a return from suspension:

  • December 1 for the following spring semester
  • April 15 for the following fall semester (students missing this deadline may be approved on a case-by-case basis).


Other Requests and Procedures

Change of Grade

All requests must originate from the professor of the course. For assistance, please see your Academic Advisor. 

Complaints and Grievances

Substitutions and Waivers

Substitution/Waiver request forms are used to either substitute or waive a degree requirement. For CVPA students, these requests require a signature from the Assistant Dean. The form is reviewed and approved by the college that houses the major or minor. 



Non-Academic Withdrawals

Students may request a withdrawal after the drop deadline for non-academic reasons. Requests are considered only under exceptional circumstances. Students will need to provide verifiable, third-party documentation with the request.

In order to request a withdrawal, you must submit the CVPA Undergraduate Student Request for Withdrawal form to your advisor.  If approved by your Advisor, this form must be submitted to the CVPA Academic Affairs office for review.

Selective Withdrawals

Students enrolled in degree programs may process a maximum of three selective withdrawals during their entire undergraduate career at Mason. The three classes may have any number of credits. Refer to the university catalog for more information. 

Termination from Arts Undeclared

Arts Undeclared is not a degree-granting major and is only intended to be a temporary track for certain incoming students to Mason. The expectation is that a portfolio will be submitted or an audition completed within 1-2 semesters of Mason enrollment. Failure to complete the audition/portfolio step, and/or failure to achieve a successful audition or portfolio result, will result in a mandatory change of program to Exploratory, to allow the student more time to determine what major path they would prefer to follow.

Termination from the major

Students in CVPA with evidence of failure to make adequate progress toward successful completion of major-specific coursework will be terminated from the school or program and reclassified as Exploratory. Adequate progress is determined by the faculty of the major program. Students will receive advance notification from the department, school, or program about this and can elect to declare a different major voluntarily (observing any additional requirements from the new intended major). For more information, see AP.5.2.4 Termination from the Major.