Graduate Admissions

Becoming a Mason Graduate Student

The following steps will guide you through the process of completing your application for graduate study in the College of Visual and Performing Arts.

Where to Start

Review your program's Admissions requirements. Some items take several weeks or even months to complete, so it's best to look ahead to help you plan out your application.

How to Apply

Start your online application. Applicants are responsible for submitting all required application materials by the posted deadline.

After you apply and submit your application, you will be assigned a G Number. This is a Mason identification number that will be key to all University communications and systems.

Mason alumna, Carla McGinnis, MA Arts Management ’13 standing outside her workplace, the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Read her story.
Mason alumna, Carla McGinnis, MA Arts Management ’13 standing outside her workplace, the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Read her story.


Applicants who apply to programs that require supplemental materials such as a portfolio or pre-screening materials will be provided a link to SlideRoom during the admissions process.

Please note that SlideRoom charges applicants an additional fee (not exceeding $15) for submitting materials. This fee must be paid upon submission of your items in SlideRoom. Contact CVPA Graduate Admissions if you have any questions.

Supplemental media items will only be accepted through SlideRoom unless otherwise indicated. CVPA programs will not accept hard copies of materials or emailed items unless explicitly stated as part of the program's requirements. Applicants should carefully read the requirements for their programs and submit only what is required.

Check your application status regularly

Be sure to login to the application portal on a regular basis to check your application status. The Office of Graduate Admissions will send updates to you via the application portal and/or notify you via email if there are issues with your application. Be sure to stay informed!

International Applicants

There are additional requirements for international applicants. Learn more about what documentation needs to be submitted and how.

Licensure Applicants

The following state-approved teacher preparation programs are offered by the College of Visual and Performing Arts. Learn more about program requirements and licensure.

  • Art Education Licensure, Graduate Certificate
  • Art Education, Master or Arts in Teaching
  • Music Education Licensure for PK-12, Graduate Certificate
  • Teaching Theater PK-12, Graduate Certificate

Non-degree programs

Applicants have the option to take graduate courses in non-degree status. To apply, interested applicants must complete an online application for their intended start term and include transcripts as well as a resume. Applicants will also be required to indicate which courses they plan to take on the application. Credits earned in non-degree status may potentially transfer to a degree program later if they meet program requirements, and the program director approves the transfer. For information on transfer credit policies refer to the University Catalog

mason campus showing center for the arts in springtime
Need Assistance?

Email us or call 703-993-5576 to speak to a CVPA Graduate Admissions representative or schedule a virtual meeting.