Accelerated Master's Programs

The College of Visual and Performing Arts offers the following Bachelor’s Accelerated/Master’s Degree programs:

Students admitted to an Accelerated Master’s program may obtain a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree after satisfactory completion of at least 138 credits (total number of credits depends on the requirements of both the undergraduate and graduate programs).

Admissions Requirements

Students who are interested in pursuing the accelerated route should talk to their undergraduate advisor to see if it would work with their current degree plan. Students must apply to the Accelerated Master's option when they have earned at least 60 credits. For more information about policies and procedures, students should refer to the university catalog

Please visit the George Mason University Admissions website for instructions on how to apply. Give yourself enough time to complete all the steps of the application process before the deadline. Application deadlines for each program can be found on the College of Visual and Performing Arts Graduate Admissions website.

All students must provide the following items as part of their applications:

  • Online Application
  • Two Letters of Recommendation*
  • Uploaded transcript from PatriotWeb

The following programs have an additional requirement:

Art and Visual Technology, BFA/Art Education Accelerated MAT

Music, BM (Performance)/Music, Accelerated MM (Performance)

  • All applicants must be evaluated by the Music faculty as to their instrumental or vocal readiness for a master’s degree. This evaluation can be completed via the juried evaluation process that occurs at the end of each semester of coursework, or when possible, through completion of the junior recital.

Checking Your Application Status:

  • The processing time for the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s application is three to five business days after submission of the online application. Only completed files will be available to the program for admissions review.
  • Questions about your application should be directed to Decisions will not be given over the phone by the program or by the CVPA Graduate Admissions office.

Notification and Registration:

  • If your Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s application is approved, a notice of approval will be sent to you via the admissions application portal, and you will be notified via e-mail when a decision has been made. The name of your graduate advisor will be provided in this correspondence.
  • Approved Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s participants will be allowed to register for graduate courses, as determined by your advisor, via PatriotWeb after at least 75 hours of undergraduate degree credits have been earned.
  • Please note that approval of specific courses on the application does not guarantee a specific course section will be open or offered at the time of registration.
  • Approval for the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s program only guarantees admission to a degree program IF the student maintains the required GPA and follows all of the Transition to Graduate Status admission instructions listed below.

Transition to Graduate Status:

  • In addition to applying for graduation, students must submit a Bachelor’s Accelerated Master’s (BAM) Transition form. This form must be submitted by the last day to add classes of the final undergraduate semester.
  • The BAM Transition Form must be submitted to your advisor. Once the approved BAM Transition Form has been processed by the Office of Graduate Admissions and the Office of the Registrar, you will receive an official approval letter for your chosen graduate program via the admissions web portal. If this form is not submitted, you will not be eligible to be formally admitted to your graduate program.
  • The BAM transition form should indicate 3 to 12 credits of approved graduate coursework taken while in undergraduate status. These credits will be designated as Advanced Standing or Reserve Graduate Credit and a minimum of grade of B must be earned in each course in order for the credits to be approved on the BAM transition form. Find detailed information about these coursework requirements in the university catalog.

Find out More on the Admissions Process