Graduate Admissions FAQs

Gaining admission into our graduate programs is a multi-step process, but we're here to walk you through it.


How Should I Submit My Transcripts?

Transcript submission and Requirements

Applicants for graduate study must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education. This is verified by submission of transcripts. Applicants may upload a scanned copy of their transcript as part of the online application. If you are admitted and decide to attend Mason, the Office of Graduate Admissions requires an official copy of your transcript to be on file within your first semester of enrollment. Find detailed information about submitting your final transcript.

Electronic Transcripts should be sent to Paper copies of official transcripts should be sent directly to:

Office of Graduate Admissions
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 4C8
Fairfax, VA 22030

International Applicants

Find detailed information regarding required academic credentials, and English proficiency standards, etc. for International applicants.


How Do I Submit A Portfolio or Pre-Screening Materials?

SlideRoom Submissions

All CVPA Graduate programs that require supplemental media materials as part of the application use SlideRoom to manage these submissions. Applicants who are applying to the following programs must upload their items through the appropriate SlideRoom portal:

  • Artist Certificate Programs, all concentrations
  • Art Education Licensure, Certificate
  • Master of Art in Teaching, Art Education
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Dance
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Graphic Design
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Theater
  • Master of Fine Arts, Visual and Performing Arts, concentration in Visual Arts
  • Master of Music, all concentrations
  • Doctor of Musical Arts, all concentrations

Items will not be accepted in any other format. The link to SlideRoom will be provided to you during the application process. You will be able to submit your portfolio after you have received your GNumber. Please contact the CVPA Office of Graduate Admissions at if you have any questions.

SlideRoom Fee

There is an additional fee for submitting materials through SlideRoom. The fee should not exceed $15.


What Do I Need to Apply to a Licensure Program?


CVPA offers graduate licensure programs in Art, Music, and Theater. Students who complete these programs and meet the state's requirements are certified to teach PK through 12th grades in their subject area in the state of Virginia. Learn more about the requirements for the state approved teacher preparation programs in the College of Visual and Performing Arts.


Can I take classes without being in a degree program?

Applicants who want to take courses in one of our schools without being admitted to a degree program can submit a non-degree application. The Non-Degree application requires a resume and transcripts.

Credits earned in non-degree status can potentially be transferred after admission to a degree-seeking program. For policies and guidelines, visit the University catalog for more information.


Need More Information about the Admissions Process?

Visit the Office of Graduate Admissions site for other frequently asked questions.

international students
International Applicants: Are You Ready?
International Applicants: Are You Ready?

Review the additional requirements for admissions and visa paperwork to ensure a more seamless application process.